Housekeep is the UK’s biggest technology platform connecting customers and cleaners in the £5 billion house cleaning market. We help customers find trusted, local cleaners and assist those cleaners by finding them dense local customer routes, maximising their earnings and saving travel costs.
Housekeep has built a strong foundation in the first eight years. We're the UK market leader – 3x bigger than the nearest competitor – and have delivered 1.5 million+ cleans with a 4.8* average rating. We've reached substantial turnover, growing at 50% each year, and we're already profitable with substantial cash to invest. Our core market is house cleaning in London, and there's a clear opportunity to grow our 1-2% market share by 5-10x in the coming years, building a business with a £100M+ valuation.
We haven't built this position by luck. We've delivered this by being smarter than anyone else, by building innovative tech and by making the right decisions on repeat.
Why we need you
Disrupting the home cleaning market throws up a lot of hard problems: real-time scheduling, job-allocation, routing and messaging to coordinate thousands of daily home visits. And all this complexity has to be presented to our cleaners, customers and operations staff with beautiful, intuitive user interfaces.
Our ambitions are much bigger than winning in a single vertical. We've built a platform from which we can not only tackle the £5 billion home cleaning market, but from which we can also address the £10 billion commercial cleaning and £40 billion tradespeople markets. We have already made promising starts in each of these new markets, and we plan to scale up our tech team with the very best engineers to supercharge our growth.
We are looking for an experienced, driven, and preferably full-stack Lead Software Engineer who is excited about solving complex problems, building scalable platforms, mentoring other developers and promoting technical excellence within an engineering team.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will:
- Bring your leadership experience and enthusiasm to our engineering culture
- Promote excellence with technical mentoring, feedback, and code reviews
- Understand the biggest and most complex business problems, then propose and implement technical solutions
- Work with the Head of Technology and other senior team members to make decisions on architecture, team structure, training and progression
- Contribute to the hiring process for new developers, for example by helping lead interviews or setting coding exercises
- Participate in and help run planning sessions, retrospectives, stand-ups and demos
- Join us in curating a codebase to be proud of, driving for quality, maintainability and testability
- You have extensive experience building great products for the web and/or mobile
- You have experience managing or mentoring other developers and you would be like to be a line manager to one or more developers in future
- You have analysed business problems then scoped and built technical solutions to solve them
- You can quickly become productive using our backend or frontend technologies, or both
- You’re excited about understanding the real problems working people come up against and fixing them with technology
- You can work well in small teams to deliver radical improvements
- You will be proud to show how you’ve impacted other parts of a business and delivered results
- You will be pushing frameworks and languages for good business reasons
Our core technologies are:
- Python on the server side, using Django as a web framework, and Django Rest Framework for our API
- Angular and TypeScript on the client side for our mobile apps and booking flow
- Next.js and React for parts of our marketing website
- Ionic for hybrid and progressive mobile apps
- PostgreSQL for our database, using some of its advanced geographic modelling capabilities
- Redis for caching and task queues
- Metabase for analysis and self-serve data exploration
- Github, Codeship and Heroku for seamless code review, integration and deployment
- Docker and EC2 for a standardised yet customisable development environment
- S3 and CloudFront for storage and content delivery
- Cypress for end-to-end testing
- Third party APIs: Stripe, Twilio, Sendgrid, Mailchimp and more
Our tech culture
We follow an agile development process with fortnightly sprints. We keep meetings to a minimum, but the ones we do have are highly valuable.
We strongly believe in ownership at Housekeep, and you will be responsible for taking your features from development through to testing, deployment and design review with end users.
We take code quality seriously. We have a preferred code style and we use automated linting, code formatting and other code inspection tools to detect common errors and ensure consistency.
We run an extensive suite of unit, integration and end-to-end tests on every git push and deploy.
We believe in flexibility and trust: usually we enjoy working together in the office, but we all sometimes take advantage of the option to work from home.
- Share options
- 25 days holiday allowance
- Flexible hours and the option to work from home
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Salary sacrifice gym membership scheme
- Access to Employee Pricing Programs
- Sponsored learning, including conference tickets and travel
- Choice of hardware, OS and IDE – you do you
- Posh Christmas and Summer parties
- Tons of sponsored team socials
- Free cleans
- Casual dress code
What are you waiting for? Apply now
Want to be part of helping to build a bigger better business? Apply by now by emailing email@example.com